Search This Blog

Sunday 29 May 2016

Meeting My Chinese Family

It's a strange business, traveling to meet family. In my case, I felt completely displaced going to China. Arriving in a place that you are supposed to have a connection with but have never visited before is difficult. There is a certain desperation to feel that bond, but it doesn't always come easily. I don't look traditionally Chinese, I don't understand the language and more importantly I don't share the culture.

My father is Chinese without even trying. He's only been there a couple of times but his mannerisms are full-on Chinese. It was a hard realization, seeing him blend in, although he doesn't speak the language and is just a little bit too tanned to look traditional. He grew up in the Caribbean but I see similarities in many of his actions.

But meeting our actual Chinese family showed that although my dad has similarities, he is just an outsider too. The whole situation was alien. We were alien to them, they were alien to us and there was a certain communication barrier that we tried to break through, but still managed to stay up. However, both sides trying to jump the fence made things easier, they talked and we didn't understand and we talked and they didn't understand, but in the end we all just had a good laugh about it and hugged it out.

Family is extremely important to me. Someone pointing at a person and telling me we somehow share blood doesn't necessarily make me feel anything towards you. However, the lengths 'our family' went through to make us feel welcome, makes me hope that we are somehow related. They invited us into their, homes the proceeded to stuff us with food, and then they took countless pictures with us. Sounds like family to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment