Search This Blog

Sunday 22 January 2017

Miss Universe 2016



I remember as a kid, watching this show with my family. I would never know when it was coming up but the day of, someone would mention it and everyone would gather around to watch. It was like the whole football season in one night for mom's. Picking a team, debating if they would win and being super critical of every move they make. I love the conversations that would come out of watching this international competition, "she doesn't even look (insert any country here)", "is that really what they wear over there?", "no way she can go home after saying that." Then debating the merits of the final winner.

One of the coolest things for me was seeing the amount of different countries. In the opening ceremony when all of the different contestants would introduce themselves, I was always tuned it completely. It was always a favorite of mine. I'm from a small country and geography was never really my thing, so I was constantly wondering if those were real countries or if someone was pulling our legs, hoping to see if someone would noticed. But it was never a hoax. There really are that many countries. I can only imagine what people think when a gorgeous lady walks across the stage claiming to be from Barbados.

This year, for the first time in many years, Barbados will be sending a candidate to the competition. Miss Shannon Harris is a lovely, 22 year old Barbadian girl, who will be representing the island at the pageant. Based on what I've been seeing, she's going to kill it. She's beautiful, smart and well spoken. The whole package. Which from what I hear, is exactly what the judges are looking for. However, its our job to continually support her. Showing her love, and letting everyone else in the world know we think she's already Miss Universe. To see more of Shannon, check out her Instagram and her Miss Universe profile. And don't forget to tune in on January 29, I bet her opening dress will be on point.




No comments:

Post a Comment